Surgery insurance coverage is a health insurance plan that covers the medical expenses of surgery. It is also known as operation insurance, which covers the cost Surgeries Covered Under Group Health Insuranceof surgical procedures required for the treatment of a medical condition or illness. Surgery is a medical or dental specialty that uses operative manual and instrumental techniques on a person to investigate or treat a pathological condition such as a disease or injury, to help improve bodily function, and appearance, or to repair unwanted ruptured areas.
A group health insurance policy covers the cost of surgeries that require hospitalization and other related expenses. The group health insurance policy also covers the surgeries under the daycare procedures. Daycare surgeries are those that can be operated on within a 24-hour period and don’t require hospitalization for more than 24 hours. The patient would be discharged on the same day of daycare surgery.
As a customer, you would have got a question in your mind while learning about the surgery in the group health insurance policy, which is :-
What’s on this page?
Does group health insurance cover surgery?
Yes. A group health insurance policy covers the cost of surgery and other related costs. The group health insurance policy covers both the daycare surgeries as well as inpatient hospitalization surgeries. Daycare surgeries are those which don’t require more than 24 hours of hospitalization whereas inpatient surgeries need the patient to get admitted for more than 24 hours in the hospital.
Below is the common list of surgeries covered in group health insurance policies:-
- Cataract Surgery:- Cataract surgery is carried out to treat a person suffering from Cataract. Cataract surgery is also known as the lens replacement surgery, is the removal of the natural lens of the eye that has developed an opacification, which is commonly referred to as cataract. The lens is replaced with an intraocular lens and surgery is carried out for this. Cataract surgery is usually carried out as daycare surgery which requires less than 24 hours hospitalization. The patient would be discharged on the same day requiring followup visits to the hospital.
- Heart Surgery:- Heart surgery is usually done to treat heart problems including heart diseases, blocked arteries, faulty heart valves etc.
- Knee replacement surgery:- Knee replacement surgery is done to resurface a damaged knee due to arthritis or an injury.
- Kidney stone removal surgery:- Kidney stones removal surgery is done to remove the kidney stones formed in the kidney. This is a daycare surgery which doesn’t require hospitalization for more than 24 hours.
- Bypass surgery:- Bypass surgery or Corona artery bypass graft is done to cure coronary artery disease. Blocked arteries are cleared during the operation to allow free flow of blood to and from heart.
- Appendix surgery:- Appendix surgery is used to treat inflated appendix. Appendix is a part in the body which would inflate and lead to complications.
- Liver transplant surgery:- Liver is an organ which can be transplanted as well as a part of the liver can be removed and transplanted to another person. Liver is an organ which grows with time and damaged liver can be transplanted with healthy liver.
- Brain surgery:- Brain surgery is performed to clear any blockages in the brain, tumors in the brain, Parkinson’s disease etc. Brain surgery is one of the complicated surgeries and requires high degree of care while performing.
- Kidney transplant surgery:- Kidney transplant is done to replace a damaged kidney with a healthy kidney from a donor. The surgery is used to treat end stage renal disease where 90% of the kidney fails to function properly.
- Prostate Cancer surgery:- Prostate gland surgery is performed to remove the gland and replace it with a healthy gland.
- Heart surgery:- Heart transplant surgery is done to replace the failing heart with a healthy heart usually from an expired donor.
- Lung surgery:- Lung surgery is done to replace the damaged lung with a healthy lung. The process is done to replace one or both lungs of the patient.
- Hip replacement surgery:- Hip replacement surgery is done to replace the damaged hip with a healthy hip. The hip may be damaged due to an accident or old age. Arthritis may be one of the reasons leading to hip replacement surgery.
- LASIK eye surgery:- LASIK eye surgery is done to correct eyesight such as hyper myopia, myopia etc. The group health insurance cover surgery related to LASIK eye surgery.
The above-mentioned common surgeries list coverage is inclusive and not exclusive. There are many other surgeries that are covered under the group health insurance policy both as inpatient hospitalization surgeries as well as daycare surgeries.